October is the month of Breast Cancer Awareness. This time each year a campaign is launched to increase awareness about the disease. While most people are already quite knowledgeable about it, many forget to take the steps to detect the disease in its early stages. Being my first week as a blogger and representative of social initiatives and causes I thought to do a piece on this.
To quote a lovely post by the name of ‘Affordable health screening’
It is very important that we are always a step ahead when it comes to our health. It’s true that there are diseases that are hard to detect, but as we all know, most of the disease that affect people today could be prevented if only early warning signs were caught.
With that said, there are 5 symptoms you might notice with Breast Cancer, if you do then please rush to your nearest health care provider:-
V – Very Strong Pain in Nipples or Breasts
I – Irritation Of Breast Skin or Dimpling
K – Known or Any Visible Redness, Scaliness or Discharge other than Breast Milk
I – Inward turn or Retraction of Nipples
T – Thickening of the Nipple or Breast Skin
A – A Rash On Your Nipple
(Easy Acronym – V.I.K.I.T.A)
How to do a self-examination:-
1) In the Shower: Using the pads of your fingers, move around your entire breast in a circular pattern moving from the outside to the center, checking the entire breast and armpit area for any lump, thickening, or hardened knot.
2) In Front of a Mirror: Visually inspect your breasts with your arms at your sides. Next, raise your arms high overhead. Look for any changes in the contour, any swelling, or dimpling of the skin, or changes in the nipples. Next, rest your palms on your hips and press firmly to flex your chest muscles look for any dimpling, puckering, or changes, particularly on one side.
3) Lying Down: When lying down, the breast tissue spreads out evenly along the chest wall. Place a pillow under your right shoulder and your right arm behind your head. Using your left hand, move the pads of your fingers around your right breast gently in small circular motions covering the entire breast area and armpit. Use light, medium, and firm pressure. Squeeze the nipple; check for discharge and lumps. Repeat these steps for your left breast.
Now the fun part:
Overall Dubai has been extremely active in promoting and hosts several events through out the month of October to raise funds for research and treatment of this cancer. Looking forward they hope to continue their efforts in keeping women strong and healthy for years to come, and this is displayed in many public places as events are organized for people to come, get tested and raise awareness.
Some of the events that you might want to visit are mentioned here: –
- Dubai Mall @ Galaries Lafayette: This event hosts a spectacular Pink High tea, which is served daily from 4-6pm. It boasts several sweet treats to fulfill all sugar cravings and is made from premium quality ingredients. This High Tea got a thumbs up from me and the best part was the Orchid Oolong tea which accompanied my meal. This created a perfect balance of flavours. My friends also recommend the Wildflower blossom tea and Chamomile tea, which helped them wash down a divine afternoon treat.
- Dubai’s Pink Ball @ Meydan: Raising money for Breast Cancer Awareness Month and taking place on the terrace at the stunning Sky Bubble at Meydan, this party in the sky will be the closing finale of Dubai Goes Pink. It comprises of a drinks reception, formal dinner and after-dinner party, where guests will be treated to an array of exciting performance artists and musicians. Almost 20% of all ticket sales will be donated to charity.
An Ultimate Pink Girly experience. See you all there!
- Cocktail reception @ Raffles Dubai: A private reception on the terrace of RED Lounge, hosted an official Pink Pony breast cancer awareness tie by Polo Ralph Lauren. The evening was filled with socialites and media personnel that covered and spoke of early detection and treatment at this event. In addition to sponsoring dozens of their colleagues at the annual walk, the Raffles Dubai also hosted a Pink Day at Raffles Amrita Spa on 22nd October, where 100% of revenue from every spa treatment and salon that day went directly to the Safe and Sound Program.
- ‘Cakes for a Cause’ charity bake sale gathered more than 35 of Dubai’s leading bakeries, patisseries and hobby bakers for an exciting community event in support of the BurJuman Safe and Sound Campaign. Almost 25% of sales proceeds from the sales will be donated to fund various awareness and community outreach initiatives aimed at raising breast cancer awareness and encouraging women to be proactive about their health!
So eat those sugary foods, buy cupcakes for your neighbours, friends and family and contribute your time to raising awareness amongst your loved ones.
- Several hospitals in Dubai are conducting free tests and aim at making you aware about your body. The American Hospital had an informal session yesterday and invited all women to come in and simply talk to the hospital’s specialists. These free seminars are open and welcomes everybody that cares about their own health! Don’t waste time and don’t risk it, if you have not already gotten checked please go to your nearest health care provider and register for a mammography today!
Anyone that needs additional assistance, please inform me so that I may arrange your screening with a hospital or clinic in Dubai.
Did you think I missed out on something? Then feel free to leave a comment below. Also tell me what Breast Cancer awareness event you visited! Send in pictures, collages in anything pink and get featured here!